Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, this year’s our Christmas Bird Counts (CBC) will require a few changes to comply with local and state rules.
Option 1: Run a COVID-19 safe and socially distanced CBC, if local rules allow. We must wait until November 15th at the earliest to decide if this option is viable.
Option 2: If option 1 is not possible, we will cancel this season's CBCs for our locations.
If we determine we can safely run our CBCs, below are the guidelines from National Audubon that we are urged to follow:
1. Wait until November 15, at the earliest, to confirm the CBCs will take place, if local regulations allow.
2. Cancel all in person compilation gatherings. We will hold pre- and post-count Zoom compilation meetings.
3. Social distancing and/or masking are required at all times in the field.
4. Carpooling may only occur within existing familiar or social "pod" groups.
5. Activities must comply with all current state and municipal COVID-19 guidelines.
If we feel it is not safe to move forward with our CBCs, we will choose option 2 and cancel this year's CBC. Please know that Audubon fully supports the decision to cancel. The health and safety of compilers and community scientists will always be our top priority.
More information will be coming in October, and around November 15, we will assess the COVID-19 situation in our local communities and make the determination whether to cancel. If it is safe to continue, we will then schedule one or more Zoom pre-count compilation meetings with participants.